About Me

My photo
I'm a 22 year old college kid, who is going to be spending summer '11 in Abu Dhabi, UAE in an internship. I'm also planning a wedding in November, and graduating college in December with a bachelors degree in History and a Minor in Arabic Studies. I have no clue what I want to do with my life as of right now. Maybe grad school one day... who knows. I do know that I have the most amazing and supportive family, fiance, and friends ever! and I am SO thankful for them!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In my Senior Seminar class....

We've been discussing education. Absolutely not related to what our class IS about, but still an interesting topic that I care about.

Class today really got me thinking. WTF is wrong with us (Americans) that we put so LITTLE value on education? I mean really... teachers teach for a test ( the majority, there are some who do care). That is all they do. So long as the students pass the test, they don't give two sh*ts about what else the student gets from the class.

People always ask what I plan on doing with my History degree... let's get this straight... I have 0 plans of going into education below the college level. Why you ask? Because I refuse to teach for a test. REFUSE. I think we are dumbing ourselves down. It's pathetic. I'll never, ever, ever teach in a public school... it would be a waste of my time and the students.

I have a lot more to say on that topic... but most of it isn't probably fit for the internet, and most won't find it interesting anyway.

All I can say is that I am seriously worried about the future of America. We have essentially doomed ourselves to be a nation of uneducated and lazy individuals.

Anyway... enough of a rant for today... back to working on my Senior paper :D

**OK... so I need to make an addition to what I said earlier.

It is not just some teachers that are the problem. the root of the problem stems from the government mandating tests, and equating doing well with money. Which means all school districts force teachers to teach to the tests.

The next problem is that there has been little public outcry about this issue. So essentially, parents lack of interest in DOING something about the education system going to sh*t is a big problem.  Until we, as a nation, decide that we are doing our future a disservice by allowing this to continue there will be 0 chance of improvement.

Our public education system is in desperate need of some help...

No comments:

Post a Comment