About Me

My photo
I'm a 22 year old college kid, who is going to be spending summer '11 in Abu Dhabi, UAE in an internship. I'm also planning a wedding in November, and graduating college in December with a bachelors degree in History and a Minor in Arabic Studies. I have no clue what I want to do with my life as of right now. Maybe grad school one day... who knows. I do know that I have the most amazing and supportive family, fiance, and friends ever! and I am SO thankful for them!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Abu Dhabi -Day 1

We got to the hotel late last night, so I didn't have time to write a whole update.  We got in pretty late to the hotel last night (10:30/11 ish), so most of last night was spent meeting a few of the people who are already here working. 

The flight from Germany to Abu Dhabi was good, but I definitely am not looking forward to having to sit on planes for that long again anytime soon.

So far everyone is really friendly, even the hotel staff.  There is one night staffer who, now that he knows I know some arabic, asks me a question/phrase or teaches me a new phrase everytime I walk by. 

They absolutely do not use MSA here, at all. I've been corrected so many times from things that we are taught in class is the right way to say it, but it's all a learning experience and I'm enjoying it.

Today we went into Shahama to get cell phones and see one of the grocery stores we may be able to buy food from once we get on base.  Right now we are waiting for the phones to get activated, but in the meantime we got to get a driving tour of Abu Dhabi. The city is really nice and there are so many shops, etc. to go look at.

Tomorrow we are probably going to go into Dubai for a few hours.

That's all I've got for now!

Shukran :)  (Thanks!)
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment